Friday, December 5, 2008

Luke Ch 5 revisited

Today during lectures the speaker hit Luke Ch 5. For God to revisit this today is significant. Last night (December 2nd) at dinner we were talking about direction and God giving instruction and how hard it can be. Shane said that we have to go back to those moments of complete soberness that God gives. Sometimes it’s difficult because the further apart these moments are the more things that can get in the way such as our own emotions, thoughts and feelings. I began to share how in May 2008, I heard a sermon on this text and it spoke to me about leaving what is familiar and doing what God is telling me to do. Just as Jesus called Simon to follow him, Jesus is calling me to go out in to the deep for a catch. (Luke 5:1-11) So today in this crazy lecture where the speaker just asked me to go in front of the class and practice my one two punch combo on his hand, we are talking about it again, well kind of talking about it.
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. God is bringing me back to this original illumination that I had in May. I am called to leave all I have, (which is not always selling all of your possessions for the record) it is what I know. Friends, Family familiarity and follow him. I want to be a true disciple of Jesus! I want to listen to the leading of Jesus and not just do things. In this D.T.S I am learning how to be a true Disciple of Jesus and I am finding out that it takes listening more than doing. If God has good works stored up for us (Ephesians 2:10) then we need not focus on doing works, but listening to God. I have been doing a lot of works and it has been good, don’t get me wrong, but God is calling me to just listen to him and do what he says.

No comments: